General Studies Degree Information
The Bachelor of General Studies, now one of the degree options available through the College of Arts and Sciences, features a strong liberal arts foundation and the convenience of hundreds of day and evening courses to fit your schedule. You may also be able to earn credit for prior learning, transfer credits from other universities, and earn credit by examination.
What are the benefits of the Bachelor of General Studies degree?
- Flexibility: It allows you to build your own degree based on your personal interests and career goals. You can add up to three different minors to the degree along with any certificates available on campus.
- Convenience: You can choose to take classes on campus, online, or both and attend either part-time or full-time. Many Ivy Tech and other non-IU credits will transfer into the BGS degree, getting you that much closer to graduation!
- Quality: Take advantage of learning from top-notch faculty on the IUB campus. Participate in research, service-learning, and other unique opportunities―all while earning a degree from one of the nation's most highly-rated universities.
What can I do with a BGS degree?
- Completing the BGS gives you a well-rounded education that makes you more competitive for many careers and graduate programs. BGS graduates work in various fields such as business, education, law, government, healthcare, real estate, social service, and industry.
- More than 40% of BGS graduates go on to pursue graduate studies in areas such as law, library or museum management, adult education, teaching, health and life sciences, social work, business, computer science, and many other areas of study.
Don't just take our word for it. Take a look at what our graduates are saying:
- "One aspect I enjoyed was my exposure to so many different areas and fields while earning my four year degree."
- "I plan on continuing my career in the Journalism field. My BGS degree, along with my certificate from the Journalism school, was necessary for me to do so."
- "My BGS degree has helped me in my current position and has even caught the attention of upper management. My pay has also increased."
- "I was able to secure a much better job with the addition of my BGS degree. I am currently working in a position training new employees. My BGS degree was all I needed to add to my employment experience – without it I wouldn't have my current job. Definitely a '10.'"