Skip to main content
Indiana University Bloomington

Facebook Twitter


Student Misconduct

Q: I believe a student has plagiarized on a paper in my graduate course. What are the procedures for reporting plagiarism?
A: Faculty must file a charge of academic misconduct with the Dean of Students Office. The Dean of Students notifies the Graduate School and the College and asks if further sanctions should be imposed. The student has the right to appeal, and that appeal comes to the College. If necessary, the College then holds a hearing. For more information, please see:

Back to top >>

Changes to Graduate Degree

Q: How do we change degree requirements for our graduate degree?
A: All requests for new courses, changes in existing courses, new degree programs/changes to current degree programs/new concentration must be considered for approval by the Associate Dean for Graduate Education in the College. Requests must be approved by both the College and the University Graduate School before listing in the Grad School Bulletin, the department website, or the schedule of classes. Proposed changes will need to be drafted (also bulletin entry drafted) before the College can approve the changes.

Q: How do we add a track or a subplan to our graduate degree?
A: New Ph.D. tracks have to be approved by the College, the Graduate School, and the Campus Curriculum Committee. There is no form to make these requests, but departments will need to submit a narrative description and justification of the new tracks, including a list of course work that will be required. We also ask that you generate a revised Graduate Bulletin entry containing the newly proposed track and send these documents to the Associate Dean for Graduate Education in the College for review/approval. Once they are approved, they will be forwarded to the Graduate School for review/approval. Once approved, the new track request will be forwarded on to the CCC (Campus Curriculum Committee) for review/approval.

Q: How do we change an existing course or add a new course?
A: All course change request forms and new course request forms should be submitted online using CARMIN which is located in OneStart. If you do not have access to the online request forms in OneStart, please contact Jennifer Young Rigsby ( jyrigsby at A syllabus must be included with each course request. If you wish to add information to a request (additional information regarding the justification for a course change, for example), please attach the added information to the request form in the notes section of the online form.

To request a change in an existing course, please submit Course Change Request form online. In each case the School/Division is the College of Arts and Sciences. The academic subject code is the three- or four-letter designation for your unit (e.g., ANTH, GER, PHYS, TEL). Please include the current credit hours, the current course title, the effective date (“Fall 2008,” for example), and the course instructor’s name. On items 10 through 19, please check only those items (course title, credit hours, description, etc) that you wish to change. After the chairperson has approved the request online, the course request form will be routed to the College Graduate Office.

To propose a new course, please submit a New Course Request form online. When you have chosen a course number, please reserve the number by contacting Mandy Bartley in the office of Student Enrollment Services (855-2092). You may also request to have a course number reserved directly from the online request form. Course numbers for all new graduate-level courses should be proposed at the 500-level or higher. The course description should include any prerequisites and should not exceed 50 words. Please attach a copy of the full graduate syllabus and a copy of the graduate reading list for each new course. The course syllabus should be identical to the information that will be given to students on the first day of class and should include descriptions of all written assignments, examinations, and reading assignments along with a description of the grading method to be employed in evaluating students’ work.

Back to top >>

CIC CourseShare

Q: I have a student who wants to participate in a course at another CIC institution. What should the student do?

  1. The student should first speak to her/her department to determine whether they will allow the course at the other CIC institution to count toward their program plan.
  2. The department will then contact Nelda Montemayor (CIC CourseShare Coordinator for the College) so that she can make contact with the other institution. If the other school agrees to offer the course, the College will then create a COLL-C 500 level course so that the IU student will be able to enroll on the IU campus, but will receive instruction from the CIC participating institution.

The University Graduate School also offers the CIC Travelling Scholars program where graduate students are able to take a course at a host (CIC) institution. Students would enroll in either GRAD G888 or Grad G889 (Research or Reading Course) while they are physically taking a course at the other campus. The CIC Travelling Scholars program is also available to students from other CIC institutions who want to take a course at IU. Please contact the University Graduate School to learn more about the Travelling Scholars CIC program.

Q: How do I arrange to offer my course for CIC CourseShare?

  1. Departments are usually contacted directly by other campuses (faculty or appointed campus coordinators, not all schools will have a designated campus coordinator) who want to share or receive a particular course. Once the two schools have come to an agreement about sharing a course, then the work begins to set up a section of the course that is open to only CIC Course Share participants.

    For example, if Minnesota wanted to “receive IUB’s LING X-101 (Introductory Wolof), then IUB would need to create a section for the CIC participants to enroll in. Meanwhile, Minnesota (student’s department) would have to have a course listing on their end that the student could register for at their school. Once the student registers for the course at Minnesota, the Registrar’s office at Minnesota will contact our Registrar’s office and ask that the student be placed in the IUB section that was created for CIC participants.

    At this point, the student would be given an IU student identification number and that will allow the student to log onto our UITS (University Information and Technology Services) to set up their IU email and On Course accounts (system that our faculty use to communicate with students about their course/assignments etc.). Our Registrar will work with our business office to load fee remissions (waiver of on campus fees since students are distance students). Below is a sample of the CIC Course Share we set up for Elementary Wolof:

    sample CIC Course Share
  2. There is also the logistical side of this request. Once the courses are set up on both campuses, then the College will have to put in for a video conferencing reservation (both campuses have to have a room, time and location with the technology so that the joint streaming can take place). Either myself or the department (some programs on our campus have been doing this on their own for several years and they do this on their own, others have me to do the coordination on their behalf). Mary, that is our contact at IUB for the VICOPS requests, she will contact the receiving school and discuss the connection process.
  3. Once this is complete, the course is posted on the Course Summary Page of the CIC Course Share website.

Back to top >>

Student Academic Appointments

AI Funding:

Q: Our department has a a MA/Ph.D student in the College and the student is currently receing AI funding. The student is considering applying to/changing to a different MA/Ph.D. program in the College. Could the student’s funding follow them to the new department in the College?
A: Each department in the College is allocated a budget at the beginning of each fiscal year to use for graduate support/funding. The student’s funding would not automatically follow them to the new department, the department DGS or Chair could discuss the need for funding with the new department on behalf of the student

Student Program:

Q: Our department has a student who matriculated in the Ph.D. program in in the Fall of 2003. The student tooktheir Qualifying Exams in Fall 2006 but they have not taken courses since Spring 2008. What does the student need to do to resume classes?
A: Once a student has passed their Qualifying Exams, they have 7 years from that date to complete their dissertation. The student would need to meet with their department for advising and to determine which courses to take. The College would then get the student term activated.