Information for Current Scholars
Each semester, STARS Scholars are required to submit a report to their mentor and the STARS staff. The report should include the scholar’s progress on his/her research project during the semester, successes and failures with the project, and other lab activities such as lab meetings, readings, etc. Once submitted, the report automatically goes to the mentor for approval/disapproval and optional comments. When the mentor has submitted his/her response, the report is forwarded to Jeremy Bennett, program manager.
All first year STARS Scholars are required to complete an online ethics training course during the fall semester. The tutorial will help scholars navigate through the training. Once completed, the completion report is to be emailed or printed and mailed to Jeremy Bennett.
IU STARS Summer Research Scholarship
STARS students who plan to continue their research during the summer may apply for financial support from the STARS program. There are a limited number of scholarships available on a competitive basis.
Amount of scholarship: $3000 paid into the student’s bursar account. Minimum requirement of 40 hours per week for 10 weeks.
Eligibility and Information
- Must be a current STARS student in good academic standing and in good standing in the lab (must not be on probation)
- Must agree to perform full-time research (40 hours per week) on campus in their mentor’s lab for 10 weeks
- May enroll in summer courses as long as the student still puts in 40 hours in the lab each week
- Must plan to enroll full time as an undergraduate student for the following fall semester
- May have no other sources of support during the summer (i.e. Capstone recipients, Beckman Scholars, etc. are not eligible)
- Agree to present the supported summer research, in poster and abstract form, at the STARS reception in the fall
- Students planning to go abroad in the fall semester following the summer research are eligible to receive funding; they must submit their abstract and poster in advance for display at the fall reception
Selections and notifications will be made by early April.