Graduate Student Resources

Graduate student resources

The Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs, or OVPDEMA, is an indispensable clearinghouse. It can be your springboard to finding academic and career support. For example, every year OVPDEMA offers 12,000 mentoring and tutoring sessions. OVPDEMA also has resources to help you seek out financial support and scholarships.

If you need to request educational accommodations and assistance, you can find disability services through IU's Division of Student Affairs.

IU is committed to supporting students and has many resources available to assist you. Once you enroll at IU, you will gain instant online access to all sorts of student services simply by logging in to Student Central with your username and password. 

Reporting an incident or grievance

If you have a grievance or complaint that involves harassment or discrimination, you should consider simultaneously filing a report with the Office of Institutional Equity and with the Dean of Students.

If you believe you have received an unfair evaluation, please contact your unit’s Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) and/or your unit Chair/Director for guidance and support.

If there is evidence of a clear procedural error (e.g., change in syllabus or grading procedure) or unfair bias (e.g. discrimination), you may appeal to the College Graduate Office. You should submit the Appeal and Complaint Form.

If you are not comfortable reporting your concern to the DGS or Chair/Director, please contact the College Graduate Office.

To report a violation of your student rights, please follow the complaint procedures outlined in Part I Section A of the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct.

Students who wish to file a formal complaint may contact the College Graduate Office for help. Such complaints must be submitted in writing no later than 21 days after receiving unsatisfactory response to attempts at informal resolution, or if the formal complaint is made without a prior informal complaint, six months after the student learned of the incident.

These appeals may be submitted directly to the College Graduate Office using the Appeal and Complaint Form, available online or from the Director of Graduate Student Services.

You can report sexual misconduct through the Office of Student Welfare. For support, you should contact the Sexual Assault Crisis Service.

Please contact the Director of Graduate Studies or Chair/Director in your department or program. If you are not comfortable reporting your concern to the DGS or Chair/Director, please contact the College Graduate Office.