In the College of Arts and Sciences, you’ll learn and grow outside the classroom as well as inside. The College is home to two Living-Learning Centers: Atkins Living-Learning Center and Collins Living-Learning Center. Each of these communities has a unique spirit and culture and offers unprecedented opportunities for academic and social growth in warm and welcoming spaces.
Housing & Living-Learning Centers
What is a Living-Learning Center (LLC)?
A Living-Learning Center is a residential space designed to bring students interested in common goals together. In addition to being a residence hall, an LLC has funding, dedicated facilities, staff support, and distinct academic options. You must apply to live in an LLC.
Atkins LLC is devoted primarily to studying African American history and culture and developing a strong consciousness regarding social justice, inequality, inequity, and humanity. This community emphasizes civility and engagement with the goal of teaching students how to work together to achieve transformation in themselves and in society. Curious, motivated, and engaged students will find that Atkins LLC truly feels like home.
- Emphasis is placed on learning by doing and engaging with peers and mentors to achieve academic excellence and leadership development.
- The Atkins community believes in inclusivity to honor the humanity of all people.
- Atkins students live in the Southeast neighborhood of campus in air-conditioned double rooms.
Collins LLC is known for its highly motivated students, many of whom have a passion for the arts, self-governance, and sustainability. With its historic neo-gothic architecture and freshly renovated interior spaces, Collins is one of the most beautiful places on campus. You will grow, learn marketable skills, and find lifelong friends as a member of this vibrant community.
- Students plan and teach courses and create their own programming with the support of the student-run Board of Educational Programming.
- Students who are committed to working for a healthier planet can choose to live on the Sustainability Floor.
- Students who are interested in deepening their humanities education can choose to live in the Action + Community + Thought (ACT) Humanities building.
- The LLC maintains creative and art-making spaces for ceramics, photography, digital arts and printmaking, to name a few.
- Collins is located in the heart of the IU Bloomington campus, just steps from the Indiana Memorial Union.