Declare, Add or Change Your Major

Here’s how to enter the College from University Division or another IU Bloomington school

Maybe, like many future College of Arts and Sciences students, you started your IU education in University Division. That’s where most new IU undergrads complete the requirements to enter a degree-granting IU school.

Or maybe you’re already in another IU school and you want to add, or switch to, a major in the College.

Either way, we’ll help you figure out how to enter the College or one of its schools: the Hamilton Lugar School of Global and International Studies, The Media School, or the Eskenazi School of Art, Architecture and Design.

Read on to see your steps, which are slightly different for students in University Division and students in another IU school.

If you’re in University Division (UD) . . .

You’ll enter your chosen department in the College when you:

  • Complete 26 credit hours of coursework that can count toward a degree in the College
  • Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.000 in College courses
  • Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.000 in your intended major
  • Satisfy the CASE English Composition requirement

Many UD students satisfy these requirements by the end of their freshman year.

You’ll enter the major department that’s listed on your academic record. Your UD advisor can help you declare or change your intended major. You can enter the College as an exploratory student if you have completed 55 or fewer credit hours.